If you feel called, please complete the application below by March 21st. If the Nominating Committee selects you as a potential candidate, they will follow up by phone to discuss your nomination.
StoneBridge Deacon Ministry Description
Ministry Title: Deacon
Reports to: Session
Length of Commitment: 3 years
Time Required: varies, average 8 hours per month
The Office of Deacon:
The office of Deacon as set forth in Scripture and the Presbyterian Book of Order is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ. Persons chosen for this ministry are to be of “spiritual character, honest repute, of exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion and sound judgment.” (G-2.0201)
A Deacon is, by definition, most appropriately regarded as a servant to the Body of Christ. At StoneBridge Community Church, Deacons will attempt to fulfill this purpose through a variety of approaches as congregational needs are presented.
Purpose for Ministry:
• “To exhibit within the church and before the world the exemplary moral authority of sympathy, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ.” Theology and Practice of Ordination to Office in the Presbyterian Church, 1992.
• To help shepherd those who seek deeper engagement in the life and ministry of StoneBridge Community Church.
• To serve as a personal connection between the services and ministries of StoneBridge Community Church and those congregants assigned to their care.
• Working in partnership and accountable to the Board of Elders, to serve the needs of our church and its community.
Deacons may assume such duties as may be delegated to them from time to time by the Session. It is the duty of deacons to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless, and to any who may be in distress both within and (outside of) the community of faith. Book of Order, G-2.0201. Deacons will serve as members of a Board of Deacons, electing from among their membership a moderator, a treasurer, and other responsibilities.
Outline of Duties:
Responsible to shepherd, as assigned, families and individuals, providing support for deepening faith and engagement within our church.
- To participate in the ongoing support of new member classes
- Maintain contact with members through appropriate means
- Serve as the ‘eyes and ears’ in the community alerting StoneBridge’s leadership, Congregational Care and other appropriate ministries of needs within the community
- Requires a compassionate heart with warm, caring communication and listening skills as well as the willingness to communicate and follow up in a timely manner as needed.
- Requires ordination as a Deacon in the Presbyterian Church as well as church membership at StoneBridge Community Church. Have the time to attend scheduled meetings and trainings, including but not limited to monthly Deacon’s Board meetings, and New Members classes.
Deacons: The Ministry of Compassion and Service - Applicable sections of the PCUSA Book of Order 2013-2015
G-2.0104 Gifts and Qualifications
To those called to exercise special functions in the church —deacons, ruling elders, and teaching elders - God gives suitable gifts for their various duties. In addition to possessing the necessary gifts and abilities, those who undertake particular ministries should be persons of strong faith, dedicated discipleship, and love of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Their manner of life should be a demonstration of the Christian gospel in the church and in the world. They must have the approval of God’s people and the concurring judgment of a governing body of the church.
G-2.0201 Deacon Defined
The ministry of deacon as set forth in Scripture is on of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress. Person of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion, and sound judgment should be chosen for this ministry.
G-2.0202 Under Authority of the Session
Deacons may be individually commissioned or organized as a board of deacons. In either case, their ministry is under the supervision and authority of the session. Deacons may also be given special assignments in the congregation, such as caring for members in need, handling educational tasks, cultivating liberality in giving, collecting and disbursing monies to specific persons or causes, or overseeing the buildings and property of the congregation. Deacons shall assume other duties as may be delegated to them by the session, including assisting with the Lord’s Supper. (W-3.3616).
Should you have further questions, feel free to contact the Chair of the Nominating Committee or any of StoneBridge’s pastors listed below:
Geoff Curtis, click here to email or call 805-312-3185
Pastor Jon, click here to email or call 805-526-5475
Pastor Jonathan, click here to email or call 805-526-5475